The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 is just one of the great trucks in a long legacy of performance and towing, and it’s available right here at Patriot Auto Group. We believe in a comprehensive approach to automotive purchasing, which is why we’re excited to share the history of the GMC Sierra 1500 and break down its different generations.
GMC Sierra 1500 Generations
The GMC Sierra 1500 has undergone some impressive and market-leading changes over the years. While it was first introduced in 1987 as the GMC Sierra 1500, many automotive enthusiasts know it as the Chevrolet C/K, which was first produced as far back as 1960. That’s because the Chevrolet C/K is the grandfather of many of the truck options available from GM, including the GMC Sierra 1500.
As of right now, the GMC Sierra 1500 has undergone five distinct generations of production, including the following:
- First Generation: The first generation of GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles ran from 1988 to 1998.
- Second Generation: The second generation of the GMC Sierra 1500 lasted from 1999 to 2002
- and then underwent a cosmetic change in the form of a facelift for the 2003-2006 model years.
- Third Generation: The third generation of the GMC Sierra 1500 includes all vehicles from 2007 to 2013. In these models, you’ll see engine options like the 5.3L V8 engine and the 6.2L V8 engine.
- Fourth Generation: For a fourth-generation GMC Sierra 1500, look for the model years 2014 and 2015 and then check out facelift models for 2016 – 2018.
- Fifth and Current Generation: The current, or fifth generation of the GMC Sierra 1500 includes all vehicles produced from 2019 to the present. In these models, you’ll find EcoTec engines, 10-speed transmissions, and four and rear-wheel drive, along with the advanced modern technology drivers can expect from GMC vehicles.
To begin test driving new and pre-owned GMC Sierra 1500 models, come down to Patriot Auto Group today.